The kangaroo is a marsupial from the family Macropodidae (macropods, meaning “large foot”). Marsupials are any members of the mammalian infraclass Marsupialia. All extant marsupials are endemic to Australasia and the Americas. A distinctive characteristic common to these species is that most of the young are carried in a pouch, to safely protect its young. (Source: Wikipedia)
How did the Kangaroo leap forward?
In 1977, this inspired a young entrepreneur, Mr. Kochouseph Chittilappilly from Cochin, when he founded a small voltage stabilizer manufacturing unit.
Fast forward to the present, today V-Guard is one of India’s leading consumer goods company with diversified product offerings.
Headquartered in the city of Kochi, Kerala, the company now has over 500 distributors, 30,000 retailers, and branches across India. It’s listed with the NSE and BSE since 2008. Over the years V-Guard has forayed into Electronics, Electrical, and Consumer Durable segments, with revenue of USD 320 MN.
In 2018, V-Guard was undergoing a rapid transformation in branding and product lineup, from a bold Gold Kangaroo leaping forward to innovative IoT capabilities.
Their HR department was looking out for experts who’ve handled large scale digital transformation projects within a quick turnaround period. We literally fit their bill and below is the story about how we went on to become a very strong and integral digital partner of V-Guard.
- On average, V-Guard was onboarding approximately one person every day. A fraction compared to the volumes of Quess ~800 onboardings per day. But, the catch was, these were all high quality profiles who had to be dealt with a white glove so the onboarding experience had to be top notch, better than what we had done till that point in time
- The onboarding flow had to be heavily customized
- The onboarding will always be self-done, by the candidate from his/her remote location
- There was an existing HRIS system (eventually, we also replaced it – a story in a follow-up blog) with which we had to integrate and push all the documents and forms
- We had to integrate with offline lab partners who were supporting V-Guard for their employee tests
- Employees had to be educated about the company in an interactive way
- There were a ton of existing paper documents that had to be scanned, segregated and pushed into a Document Management System.
Onboarding Experience Solution for the New Hires
1. We white labelled our solution, complete with the latest branding.
2. Heavy customization was done to suit the top notch, remote and self onboarding by the candidates – it’s been a year now and the team has seen a significant decrease in the candidate dropout rate.
3. We built Custom APIs to integrate with both their Upstream and Downstream Applications (Document Management System and internal HRIS respectively) to receive as well as push all the digital data and documents that were collected via our platform.
4. We built Digital Bridges all offline lab partners to instantly update them with the essential details, as soon as a candidate selects a preferred center.
5. We built a small yet highly effective Gamification Mechanism via which the employees were updated about V-Guard and had to attend an interactive quiz.
6. We helped V-Guard scan & segregate their existing documents. But, we just couldn’t stop there – we went on to build a Cloud-Based DMS Solution for them, fully integrated with Digidesk.
Basically, we did everything we could to make the employee onboarding process as smooth as possible, so that the employee can hit the ground running on day 1. Thus, we were this small but essential invisible force that played a part when The Kangaroo leapt forward.
We would also like to take this opportunity to thank Mr. P.T. George, Vice President & Head – HR & John Mathew, Head – Talent Acquisition of V-Guard who placed their unbridled trust in Heptagon‘s Digidesk.
Now, to all HR heads of manufacturing companies out there – “We feel you” We understand the predicaments that you undergo every day and if our solution works for V-Guard, then we are very confident that we will be able to address your issues too. We are always looking forward to being your partner in growth!